June 30, 2011 - AED Bill Signed Into Law
AED Bill Signed Into Law
On Wednesday, June 8, 2011, Governor Cuomo signed an important piece of legislation into law that will improve public health and safety of New Yorkers statewide.
Beginning January 1, 2012, ALL dental offices in New York State will be required to have Automated External Defibrillators (AED’s) on-site. Dentists in New York are already required to be trained to use these devices. AED’s save lives and now over 10,000 dental offices across the State will have them available.
NYSDA’s support of AEDs in dental offices is a result of the indisputable evidence that they greatly improve outcomes for people experiencing cardiac arrest.
While dental offices are not a site where cardiac arrest is likely to occur, as many people frequent dental offices, the availability of an AED provides additional protection for those in a dental office who may experience an unanticipated cardiac event, regardless of the cause.
The importance of early defibrillation cannot be over-emphasized:
- The prognosis of pre-hospital cardiac arrest due to ventricular fibrillation is dependent on the first few minutes following the arrest
- The availability and use of AEDs has resulted in a marked increase in the effectiveness of pre-hospital CPR in saving lives
- It is estimated that an individual’s chances for survival decreases by 10% for each minute that defibrillation is delayed
- Early defibrillation has been shown to be more effective than CPR alone
- The national average for survival after sudden cardiac arrest is 5-6% without immediate defibrillation
- In metropolitan areas, the survival rates are actually lower, 1-2%, leading many communities to equip first responders with AEDs
- Public Access Defibrillation (PAD) programs have raised survival rates up to 60%
This bill was sponsored by Senator Martin J. Golden and Assemblyman Herman D. Farrell, Jr. and supported by groups from around the state including the American Red Cross, the American Heart Association and the Regional Emergency Medical Services Council of the Hudson and Mohawk Valleys.
If NYSDA members have questions that are not addressed in the FAQ, contact NYSDA offices at 1-800-255-2100 or send an email to email@example.com.
NYS Dentists can get a discounted AED with Integris Equipment to help comply with the new AED law in the most cost effective manner. Integris Equipment has units starting at $850 and they can provide the forms and documentation needed to claim a $500 tax credit from New York State when you file the NY IT-250 form (for individuals) NY CT-250 (for corporations). There are many models of AEDs with varying features on the market, and the staff at AED Professionals can advise you as to which AED is best suited for your needs and at the lowest long term cost.